Emerald Ash Borer (EAB)
As of 2023, the City of Winterset has removed all Ash Trees that were located in the right of way (ROW) and city owned parks.
- How do I identify an Ash Tree?
- We suggest using the ISU Forestry website. It has a variety of resources that are free and downloadable that can assist you. Visit the ISU Forestry Extension Website.
- Another resource is the Madison County ISU Extension office, asking for a Master Gardener for assistance.
- How do I identify an infected tree with Emerald Ash Borer?
We recommend using such tools located on the websites ISU Forestry; ISU Master Gardener; and DNR.
- Contact a profession Arborist and ISU Forestry Department professional. The local extension office or the ISU Extension website has contacts listed.
- View the Planning for Emerald Ash Borer website.
- How do I dispose of infected wood in Madison County?
Currently, the option is to dispose of the wood at the county landfill. The Tree Commission is working on additional options, so watch for updates to this document. In addition, connect to the DNR link. There are instructions listed on reporting.
- What are treatment options for Emerald Ash Borer infected trees?
There are a couple of options and facts to consider before deciding what to do with the infected tree or prevent the infestation. We recommend you check out the following websites to assist you in making a good decision for your situation:
- Is there a city ordinance for Dead Trees in Winterset?
At this time Winterset does not have a city ordinance to guide the city’s dead tree removal. However, the Tree Commission is working to recommend an ordinance presently. So be sure to check for updates to the Q&A document. ISU Forestry Department and the Arbor Foundation have a sample ordinance to guide the commission.
- What would be a good replacement tree?
We suggest you check out the following websites:
- Who do I contact for more information related to Tree Commission Community Preparedness activities?
We suggest you contact John Pletchette at City Hall or attend the monthly Tree Commission Meeting.
- What resources are available to have an infected or dead tree remove in Winterset?
- There are currently no city funds set aside specifically for tree removal at the current time to assist homeowners. City departments work together to trim and remove trees in the right ways as time allows. (Pending question to city council.)
- View the Iowa DNR: Emerald Ash Borer website.