Library Board of Trustees
The Board shall have and exercise the following powers* and duties:
1. To meet and elect from its Members a president, secretary and such other officers as it deems to be necessary. The City Administrator shall serve as the Board Treasurer, but shall not be a Member of the Board.
2. To have charge, control and supervision of the Public Library, its appurtenances, fixtures and rooms containing the same.
3. To direct and control all the affairs of the Library.
4. To employ a librarian and such assistants and other employees as may be necessary for the proper management of the Library, and to fix their compensation; provided, however, that prior to such employees shall have been fixed and approved by a majority of the Members of the Board voting in favor thereof.
5. To remove by a two-thirds vote of the Board the librarian to provide procedures for the removal of assistants or employees for misdemeanors, incompetence or inattention to duty, subject, however, to the provisions of Chapter 70 of the Code of Iowa.
6. To select, or to authorize the librarian to select, and make purchases of books, pamphlets, magazines, periodicals, papers, maps, journals, other library materials, furniture, fixtures, stationary and supplies for the Library within the budgetary limit set by the Board and the City Council.
7. To authorize the use of the Library by nonresidents of the City and to fix charges therefore.
8. To make and adopt, amend, modify or repeal rules and regulations, not inconsistent with the ordinances and other laws, for the care, use, government and management of the Library and the business of the Board, fixing and enforcing penalties for violations.
9. To control the expenditure of funds appropriated for Library purposes by the Council and of moneys available by gift or otherwise.
10. To accept gifts of real property or personal property and devises or bequests, including trust funds; to take the title to said property in the name of the City; and, to expend the funds received by them for such gifts for the improvement of the Library in accordance with the approved budget.
11. To keep a record of its proceedings.
12. To have authority to make agreements with the local County Historical Associations, when such exist, to set apart the necessary room and to care for such articles as may come into the possession of the association. The Board is further authorized to purchase necessary receptacles and materials for the preservation and protection of such articles as are in their judgment of a historical and educational nature and pay for the same out of funds allocated for Library purposes.
* Such powers are granted to the Board per the Winterset Municipal Code Section 1.706
Board Members shall serve a term of six (6) years. The Board consists of seven (7) members and shall have at least five (5) members who reside within the corporate city limit and may have two (2) members who reside outside the corporate city limit, but who shall reside within the boundaries of the Winterset Community School District. All members shall be at least nineteen (19) years of age.
|Name||Term End Date|